Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sure Do Love You, Uncle Boo

As the 4th grade Writing TAKS test gets closer and closer, I am working more intensely with my students daily on writing compositions.  
Today we wrote about someone that is special to us.  
I wrote about Uncle Boo.  You will find my example below:


    My Uncle Boo was one of the most giving and loving men that I have ever known. He wasn’t really my uncle, but he was my parent’s best friend, so we called him Uncle. His real name was Bill, but I couldn’t say that when I was a baby. I named him Boo. He was part of every family holiday and special event. I can’t remember a time he wasn’t there.
    Uncle Boo’s heart was a big as a football field. He loved my family as if we were his own. He took my brother and me fishing all the time. He had a boat named after me, Monkey Nose. We would all go out into the ocean on weekends and fish. I didn’t like the slimy scaly fish, but I loved being with my Uncle Boo.
    Uncle Boo worked at Disneyland for thirty years. He was an electrician in Tomorrowland. After school my mom would take my brother and me to Disneyland to meet him when he got off work. Uncle Boo would sign us in, and my brother and I would play at Disneyland all evening. To this day, I think of him every time I go to Disneyland. I wish he could be there with me riding “It’s A Small World”.
    Whenever I think of my Uncle Boo, I imagine him sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee, eating chocolate, and working on a crossword puzzle. Uncle Boo loved chocolate. One year I bought him a five pound candy bar for Christmas. It was too big to even fit in his stocking. He ate it in less than 3 days!!! I have never seen anyone eat chocolate like him.
    The last time I spoke to my Uncle Boo was a Sunday in March 2001. The new California Adventure had just opened at Disneyland. My best friend, Teresa, and I were riding the brand new ferris wheel. We were at the very top, and I took out my cell phone and called my Uncle Boo. I told him I wished he was there riding with me. I also told him I loved him. The ferris wheel started to sway back and forth, and Teresa and I screamed and laughed. He laughed also and said to have fun.
    Two days later, my brother called to tell me that Uncle Boo had suddenly passed away. My heart was broken, but I was so thankful that the last time I spoke to my Uncle Boo was a happy time. I know that anytime I eat chocolate or go to Disneyland, my Uncle Boo will be watching and laughing from heaven.

I could continue to write forever, but I had to show my kids that it could be done in 2 pages.  But I did get to spend more time telling more stories about my precious Uncle Boo.  They were all on the edge of their seats while I told my tales.  

Sure do love you, Uncle Boo.

1 comment:

Krista Sanders said...

Sweet tribute to a man I have heard lots about!