Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Holden's Holiday Memory

Today Holden and I spent time working on a writing assignment.  He has missed the last 3 days of school because of this crazy virus he has had.  As a writing teacher, I was actually pretty excited about spending some quality time with Holden working on this and making it fun.  

Homework is rarely fun, and I could see it in Holden's face that he did not want to do this writing assignment, and he did not think it would be fun.  It actually took me about 15 minutes to really pull him in and get him excited.  But once we started planning and writing, he really got into it.  

We decided to write a story about.......well how about I just let you read it.....

         On December 26, I woke up and heard a rumbling in the kitchen.  I walked in the kitchen expecting to see Dad making his morning coffee.  Instead I saw Santa gulping down the entire gallon of milk.  I asked him why he was here.  He said, "Your mom and dad left me as your babysitter while they are on vacation."  I knew this was going to be an extraordinary day.
Santa asked me to help him make breakfast.  We made a giant cookie with chocolate chips filled with hot and creamy fudge, smothered with caramel.  My mom would have a fit if she found out.  We washed it down with lots of milk.  Santa didn't even make me brush my teeth after breakfast which my dad and mom always make me do no matter what.
After breakfast Santa taught me how to fly his sleigh.......

TO BE CONTINUED.......

I am so proud of his use of vocabulary and funny ideas.  I told Him he would have to finish the rest of the story on his own at school.  I will post the rest when he brings it home.  I can't wait to read it!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to finish this story and I am going to read it to Donovan! Yeah Holden

Lori